Transcontinental Northern California
Human Resources Navigator/Director
Transcontinental, the fourth largest printing company in North America, is pleased to have entered into a 15-year agreement to print the San Francisco Chronicle in our 330,000 square foot, state of the art printing facility in Fremont, California. We also produce numerous other publications, flyers and other products. We are currently recruiting for a Human Resources Navigator/Director for this fast paced, high performing, Participative Management Model business unit and are looking for a dynamic individual for this role.
Summary of Position
The Human Resources Navigator/Director is responsible for directing the work of the Human Resources Department in a fast paced, energetic 125-person plant in a full range of human resources management activities to include: recruitment and selection, employee relations, organizational development/change management, performance management, benefits and compensation, workers compensation and disability management, training and development, and human resources information systems. The Human Resources Navigator works with a high level of independence and exercises a high degree of initiative and judgment under minimal guidance from the General Manager/Lead Navigator and in collaboration with the Senior Management/Navigation Team as a Business Partner and Change Agent. The Human Resources Navigator works to enhance organizational effectiveness, staff development and succession planning. The Human Resources Navigator is a member the Senior Management Team and is expected to participate in and/or lead plant-wide initiatives and projects in accordance with our Participative Management Model and to promote the plant’s culture by acting as a role model.
- Demonstrated significant experience, knowledge, and competence in the management of Human Resources, associated with a minimum of 10 years of increasing HR management responsibility including experience leading/managing other professional HR staff in California. Previous experience working in a similar newspaper/printing/manufacturing environment is highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree or knowledge and competencies equivalent to those gained with an undergraduate degree in human resource management, industrial relations or organizational development or the equivalent in education and experience. Advanced degree in a related field strongly preferred; HR certification highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience as a business partner in the daily operations of a Participative Management organization and participation/collaboration in the development and implementation of the business unit strategy.
- Ability to support financial and budgetary planning and monitoring activity related to total compensation and modest budgets.
- Excellent analytical, assessment, negotiating and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to manage workflow and projects, set priorities, delegate effectively to staff, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to assess and implement complex organizational change. Solid experience in developing and leading organization-wide program initiatives.
- High level of emotional intelligence, initiative, global thinking with a tolerance and ability to operate effectively through ambiguity.
- Ability to make strategic decisions to influence successful outcomes. Decisive, while exercising sound and accurate judgment through effective collaboration.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to write clearly, facilitate and present effectively to a wide range of audiences. Capacity to communicate complex issues and information to peers and senior administrators. Strong and active listening skills. Highly skilled at facilitating small and large groups.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and understanding of group dynamics. Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with a diverse groups through positive collaboration, including various levels of management, and key partners and contributors both inside and outside of the organization.
- Professional discretion, tact, and diplomacy and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Experience in a Participative Management model environment highly desirable.
- Proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Power Point, HRIS reporting. Experience with Outlook email and the Internet. Experience with ADP is desirable.
- Must be able to travel internationally.
We offer a competitive salary and a variety of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid vacation, 401(k), fitness center and more.
To be considered, please send your resume, cover letter, salary history and expectations to FremontHR@transcontinental.ca.
All submissions will be treated confidentially.